6.19.2006

Our First Anniversary Celebration

Although our official anniversary is on the 25th of June, we decided to celebrate our First Anniversary this weekend, since we will be out of town next weekend. So I had everything all planned out. We spent Saturday night at the Omni Hotel in Jacksonville, which is where we stayed on our wedding night last year. First of all let me say, we LOVE staying at the Omni. The staff there is so nice and attentive. They always know who you are, and where you want to go. Everything is Mr. & Mrs. Conner. They are just a fantastic hotel!

We went downstairs and had drinks and exchanged gifts first. If you read the post on 5-4-2006, then you know the background on the "paper gift" story. If not then you may want to read it. A truly hilarious story! So, being so proud of the "paper gift" I couldn't wait to exchange gifts. I already knew what James was getting me, which I admit was a little disappointing, but I knew it was practical. Since we were going on vacation, I asked for a gift certificate for clothes so I could do some shopping prior to our trip, and he agreed. He opened his gift first. An engraved frame, which held a Dell Stock Certificate. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I have everything Dell. Among the list; a laptop, an Axim (PDA), and two Dell DJ's (mp3 players). Needless to say, my husband made a comment one day that we should have stock in Dell, and that is just what he got!

Then I opened my card and wouldn't you know a gift certificate fell out. Then there was a "Burgundy Box". I knew EXACTLY where that came from. Another tidbit of knowledge about us is that, thanks to Shawn and Cindy, all of our jewelry comes in a burgundy box, from Helzberg Diamonds. I could not believe that he got me jewelry! Especially since our material was paper, and I was completely happy with my gift card! I opened it, and it revealed a ring with a colored gem inside. I have NO colored gems in my jewelry collection, so it was a great choice! It is a Blue Topaz & Diamond ring. I bought him a Blue Topaz & Diamond ring last year that he wears on his right hand and I have one to match! It was so beautiful and so thoughtful, and was a TOTAL surprise. He doesn’t get me very often but he did this time! After drinks we had a fabulous dinner at Juliette’s Bistro there at the Omni. Then we walked around downtown for a while. We watched a lot of street performers, which was a lot of fun! Nice to see our local talents!

The next morning we had brunch plans at 95 Cordova at the Casa Monica Hotel in Saint Augustine where we had the reception last year. Brunch was great, but the big surprise here was that James was unexpectedly presented with the top tier of our wedding cake. I took off Friday afternoon and took the cake down there. He was so surprised! Afterwards, we trolled around Saint Augustine, and eventually went back home.

It was a great day, and has been a fantastic year for both of us. We have certainly had our share of rough times, but we made it through and there are much brighter days ahead for us, and we are looking forward to each and every one of them together!

No comments: